Four Lanes End Garden Club
Langhorne, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Four Lanes End Garden Club, Langhorne, Pennsylvania, is a member of the National Garden Clubs, Inc. and the Garden Club Federation of PA, District XI. The Garden Club was founded in 1957, federated in 1979, and incorporated in 1996. Several charter members are active in the Garden Club. There are approximately 81 members, including associate and honorary members. Mrs. Doris Monroe was instrumental in forming Four Lanes End Garden Club in 1957, and served as President from 1957-1959.
Four Lanes End Garden Club is to be organized exclusively for charitable, educational and scientific purposes. It is to coordinate and further the interests and activities of the National Garden Clubs, Inc. and the Garden Club Federation of Pennsylvania together with similar organizations in the United States. They encourage the improvement of roadsides and parks. Programs are presented at each regular meeting to educate and advance the fine arts of gardening, landscape design, floral design, and horticulture.
The main fundraiser for the Garden Club is the Holiday House Tour and Tea, held annually in November on the Thursday before Thanksgiving. The monies generated are used for community beautification (planting and maintaining hayracks, containers, and hanging baskets seasonally in Langhorne proper) maintenance of the Richardson House grounds, conducting floral arranging workshops for community members, financial support for youth programs at Churchville Nature Center and Playwicki Farm, contributions to the environmental studies of birds and butterflies at Silver Lake, donations to save and restore the farm on the edge of Langhorne, "Connecting with Seniors through Nature" (a new initiative) and finally two scholarships to Bucks County, PA students attending college to study horticulture, landscape architecture, environmental sciences, and/or related fields.